Thursday, November 10, 2011

Basketball Footwork: The Drop

    There are two footwork possibilities when your pulling up for a jumpshot in basketball.  First is what I like to call the drop, which is what I'm talking about today.  The drop is my preferred footwork technique when shooting a jumpshot.  Second, is stepping into your shot.  I call that method the step in, and I will talk about that tomorrow.  The drop is an important part of every great shooters repertoire.
    The drop is a very quick and balanced way to get off your shot.   When your performing the drop your goal is to plant your two feet and immediately being your jumpshot.  This can mean pretending to drive by starting to make a move to the hoop, but then dropping into a jump shot.  Or it can mean coming off a screen and dropping right into your shot. In fact, I would recommend using this method if you want to get off a quick shot after coming off a screen.  The drop is an extremely effective, quick way to get off a shot.  One person who uses this method almost everytime is Jimmer Fredette.   In the video below he uses the drop every time he shoots as opposed to the step in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment